After The Fire

When fire strikes, lives are suddenly turned around.   Often, the hardest part is knowing where to begin and who to contact.  We’ve provided some resources and some good to know information that can ease the process.  The link below is a downloadable booklet of all the information provided on this page

Returning To Normal


What to do within the first 24 hours

Contact the local disaster relief association such as the American Red Cross or Salvation Army for immediate needs such as:

  • temporary housing
  • food
  • medicine
  • eyeglasses
  • clothing
  • other essential items

Salvation Army:

  • 313 W Cunningham St, Butler, PA 16001
    (724) 287-5532

Contact your insurance company

  • Begin saving any receipts related to fire loss from money spent to provide to your insurance company


  • Do not enter the damaged area.  A fire could rekindle from hidden still smoldering remains
  • The Fire Department will assure that all utilities are either shut off or in working condition, do not attempt to do so yourself.
  • Look for structural damage, flooring and roofs may be likely to collapse from compromises
  • perishable items [food, medicines, or beverages] exposed to heat should not be used and should be disposed of.
  • It may be necessary to board up openings to discourage trespassers.

If the property is deemed safe to do so, try to locate the following:

  • identification, such as driver’s licenses and Social Security cards
  • insurance information
  • medication information
  • eyeglasses,hearing aids or other prosthetic devices
  • valuables, such as credit cards, bank books, cash and jewelry

Whom you should notify of temporary relocation:

  • your insurance agent/company
  • your mortgage company (also inform them of the fire)
  • your family and friends
  • your employer
  • your child’s school
  • your post office
  • any delivery services
  • your fire and police departments
  • our utility companies

Replacing Documents & Records:

Here is a check list of documents you will need to replace if they have been destroyed, and who to contact for information on the replacement process.

Driver’s license, Auto registration Department of motor vehicles
Bank books (checking, savings, etc.) Your bank, as soon as possible
Insurance policies Your insurance agent
Military discharge papers Department of Veterans Affairs
Passports Passport service
Birth, death and marriage certificates Bureau of Records in the appropriate state
Divorce papers Circuit court where decree was issued
Social Security or Medicare cards Local Social Security office
Credit cards The issuing companies, as soon as possible
Titles to deeds Records department of the localityin which the property is located
Stocks and bonds Issuing company or your broker
Wills Your lawyer
Medical records Your doctor
Warranties Issuing company
Income tax records The IRS Center where filed or your accountant
Citizenship papers U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
Prepaid burial contract Issuing company
Animal registration papers Humane Society
Mortgage papers Lending institution